Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Random Ramblings

I finally have a finished Lonsdale to show, but no camera! I'm waiting to see what arrives at the apartment first - my husband with the good camera he took on an out of town project, or a new charger for my not so good camera. The race is on. My poor Lonsdale deserves a much better fate than being subjected to camera phone pics.

In the meantime, I'm curious to know if anyone has used Spoonflower ? I've just designed and ordered my first print, and am currently working on a second. Has anyone ever ordered from them or had their own designs printed? How was the experience? Were you happy with the fabric?

I'm actually fascinated by the entire design process. It's been a balancing act between trying to come up with a print that I like but also a print that I would wear and could see being made into a finished garment.

I think I missed the mark a bit with my first attempt, a bird and flower motif. I'll post a picture of it when it arrives. I very happy with the design, but see it as more of a quilt/home decor/lining fabric, if that makes sense. I'm still pretty proud of myself, more so for "breaking the seal" so to speak, and actually placing the order. I had been holding off for so long. And, I suppose that not all fabric has to be "garment appropriate", but that's really what I'm most interested in right now.

Which brings me to my second design. I'm currently working on a border print, inspired by 1800's hand painted pearlware. (It's not as random a topic as it sounds, but I'll save the origin story for another day.) This one I can definitely see as a dress - a Hazel actually.

Good news for me is that my Hazel pattern just arrived in the mail today. By the time I've made a muslin, and probably made my previously proposed white eyelet version, I should have my newly designed border print ready!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting . . . I was just looking at Spoonflower the other night, thinking about purchasing fabric to make Hubby some ties. I've never bought anything from the site, although I've read a few other bloggers who said they were very happy with the quality of the fabric. So I'll be very interested to hear what you think about it. And designing your own border print for the Hazel is brilliant! Can't wait to see that!

    And I hope you get your camera issues sorted soon - really can't wait to see your finished Lonsdale! You have got some good stuff going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I can't wait to get a camera, any camera, back. It's only been a few days, but I really miss it!

      I've been staring at Spoonflower for months now convinced that I can create my own designs. Even if the end product is not successful, I'll be happy that I've followed through on a goal that I set for myself.

      Delete