Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Finished Eyelet Cambie

As promised, here are more pictures of my finished eyelet Cambie:

Navy Eyelet Cambie

Check out the pattern matching on the back! I wasn't even trying! I think I just got lucky because I took so much care to keep the fabric on grain when cutting out the pattern pieces.

Navy Eyelet Cambie - Back

Action shot.  I tried to style this with my red belt, but I think it's a bit too wide for this dress.  Oh well, this just gives me an excuse to buy/make something that works better.

Navy Eyelet Cambie in Motion

Construction notes:

I used Sewaholic's Cambie pattern, View B.  The fabric is the fabulous navy eyelet that I purchased from Britex on a recent trip to San Francisco. I used the solid selvage edge of the eyelet for the waist band. The underlining and bodice lining were mystery polyester/synthetic blends purchased from Jo-Ann's

I cut out a size 6 and graded the pattern to a size 8 at the waist.  I also made a swayback adjustment, which is standard for me on most dress patterns, and took in the upper back shoulder about an inch. The pattern looks kind of crazy, but it works for me.

Cambie Pattern Adjustments

I underlined the eyelet fabric and only added lining to the bodice. I omitted the skirt lining because I worried that the dress was becoming too bulky. I decided that the fabric was opaque enough with the underlining to avoid any wardrobe malfunctions.

A change that I did not make intentionally -  at one point my mind decided to take a vacation and I switched some of my seam allowances from 1.5cm to 2cm.  It wasn't by design, but that's why this Cambie is a bit tighter than my first one and why the waistband is narrower than it should be.

Navy Eyelet Cambie

Final thoughts? I love the dress. I still wish I had used a lighter weight fabric with more drape for the underlining to avoid the extra bulk at the waist, but I'll get used to it :)   Knowing me, I'd do it again because it was the exact color fabric that I wanted.

This officially means I can cross another project off of "The List"!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that is gorgeous! Makes me want one exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic dress! That fabric and style really suit you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Killer pattern matching. A truly gorgeous Cambie. What a great idea to use eyelet. Sorry, but I may have to steal this idea. And I have to say that I love the red belt with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to make those exact mods to my Cambie bodice. I did shorten the back, and I'm about to take an after-finish dart right next to the zipper on each side. The shortening of the back shoulder would help keep the shoulder seam ON my shoulder, too. :) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it helps :) Best of of luck on your next one!

      Delete
  5. This looks so beautiful! I love the fabric you chose. I am just finishing my first "wearable muslin" cambie now, this make me want to make one in fancier fabric next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I love the whole idea of wearable muslins. It's so nice to come out of the testing process with a garment you can potential wear, instead of something you toss aside when you're finished. Good luck, and I'd love to see your finished Cambie :)

      Delete