Thursday, February 21, 2013

Burda Pencil Skirt

A couple of weeks ago, I put my Cambie aside and downloaded Burda's Princess Seam Pencil Skirt

Burda Princess Seam Pencil Skirt
Source: http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/princess-seam-pencil-skirt-042012
I wanted a pencil skirt for my upcoming work trip and thought this pattern would be the perfect use for the teal wool from my stash. I was drawn to the princess seams and thought they would be more flattering on me than darts.

I made a muslin of the largest size, 44. I the only adjustment I made was to take in each seam 1 to 2 centimeters at the waist. Just to go off on a tangent for a second - who does Burda size their patterns for? I'm definitely not a stick, but I don't consider myself that big either (not counting the extra junk in the trunk).  Why am I cutting out the largest pattern size?  Okay, rant over :)

Here's the completed skirt paired with one of my many Renfrew tops. This was completely unintentional, but my color choices are very similar to the original Burda image. (Posing with my black cat would have completed the look.)

Burda Pencil Skirt and Renfrew Top
The skirt went together like a dream.  It's official, I love sewing with wool felt. (I'm pretty sure that's what this fabric is.) It presses beautifully and I didn't have to finish the seams which is a huge deal to me.  I'll also be able to easily take the skirt in if necessary.

The pattern is very easy to put together.  There's no lining and the fabric is simply folded over to create the waist band facing.  Because the wool holds a crease so well, I didn't feel the need to sew this facing down anywhere except the zipper. If I had used a lighter weight fabric, I probably would have tacked it down at each seam.

Burda Pencil Skirt

My zipper is a bit crazy toward the bottom, but I really don't care. I'm probably the only person who will notice this anyway.

I can officially cross another item of "The List"! I will definitely reuse this pattern and have some newly purchased black wool lined up waiting for an opening in my sewing queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment