Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Kimono Tee Time (Part I)

Once I latch on to something, it's can be hard for me to try something new. I'm like that with many things - food, TV shows, music, etc. For sewing, after I've found a pattern that I like and that fits well, I tend not to stray. Especially if I've spent some time making adjustments.

That said, I'm trying to expand my horizons. It all started with this awesome fabric that I picked up from Mood online:


It was screaming to be made into something other than a Renfrew, my go-to top pattern. Something boxier that would highlight the fabric more instead of a body-hugging style.

Enter the Kirsten Kimono Tee from MariaDenmark. This is a free pattern available when you sign up for the MariaDenmark newsletter. I was actually eying up another top pattern on the site but was really drawn to this. If you asked me a year ago if I would ever make a top this style, I would have said "no". (Why? I don't know. That's just how I am.) And, I would have missed out on this:


Pattern: MariaDenmark Kirsten Kimono Tee

Fabric: The description on the Mood website is Navy/Black Misc Novelty Knit, and it's a polyester rayon blend.

Size and Modifications: I cut out a straight BL (for this pattern, that corresponds to body measurements 38.5" bust, 32" waist and 42" hip). I wanted something slightly boxy and originally tried to grade the pattern between sizes. (The only measurement above that matches me is the hip.) However, after multiple attempts to grade between a small and large and add seam allowances, I gave up.  This was totally no fault of the pattern, I just spaced out multiple times during the process. Funny thing is that I'm completely happy with the fit of the current size and could have saved myself a headache in the first place.


Once I assembled and finally cut the correct size pattern out, the shirt went together quickly. You sew the side seams, attach a neck band, hem the cuffs and bottom and boom you're done! It's simple, yet elegant.


The black mesh of the fabric is see-through and I do have a tank top underneath because this is not that type of blog!  :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this! I also would be hesitant to set aside my beloved Renfrew for a new t-shirt, but this one is lovely. I think I might try it out since it's free. And that fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Such a great fabric! I'm wondering if it coordinates with your blue sequins? As in, a skirt to go with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I didn't think of that! :) The sequins are still tentatively destined to become a dress, but this top could definitely work over it.

      Delete
  3. I think you nailed it with the fabric/pattern match-up! I love the top! I'm seeing a lot of blue/black combos right now, and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo I like it! Very cool fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I really fell in love with this fabric when I first saw it online because it was so unique.

      Delete